In the heart of Portland's redeveloped South Waterfront district, this LEED Platinum-certified project provides 209 affordable apartments for low-income households, including 42 formerly homeless veterans, plus ground-floor commercial space and new administrative offices for REACH Community Development. The 44,700-square-foot site, located on a trolley line and near riverfront parks and trails, was previously designated for market-rate condominiums, but when the housing market softened in 2008, Portland Housing Bureau acquired the property, also called “Block 49”, and selected REACH to repurpose it as affordable housing. Housing Development Center provided financial structuring and construction management services and helped adapt the original building plans to suit REACH's program objectives and improve sustainability. Gray's Landing is named for the visionary developer and philanthropist John Gray, who toured the construction site shortly before he passed away, at age 93, in October 2012.
- Client REACH Community Development
- Location Portland, Oregon
- Size 245,000 sf, including 209 residential units and 19,472 sf of retail and facility space
- Development team Ankrom Moisan Architects, Walsh Construction Co
- Completion date December 2012
- HDC role Financial structuring, construction management